Discrimination and EEO Complaints

As a federal employee, you have the right to be free from discrimination in the workplace. While the federal government is exempt from the requirements of certain statutes, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and other laws all protect federal workers from discrimination on the job.

Despite these protections, and despite working for the government that created and holds responsibility for enforcing them, many federal employees still experience discrimination and harassment at work. From individual supervisors who provide disparate treatment to general employment policies that have a disproportionate – and inappropriate – affect on certain employees, discrimination in federal workplaces remains far too common. At Melville Johnson, P.C., we fight for those federal employees who have suffered the negative consequences of on-the-job harassment and discriminatory employment practices.

With offices in Atlanta, GA, we represent federal employees in discrimination and harassment claims nationwide. Our attorneys have handled thousands of federal employment cases at the agency level, and routinely represent clients before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC). Protecting your rights after experiencing discrimination or harassment requires compliance with a set of rules that are unique to federal employees, and it requires a thorough and detailed understanding of the laws and regulations that apply. Representing federal employees for more than 30 years combined, the lawyers at Melville Johnson, P.C. have established a proven track record of securing the results our clients deserve.

“As a person with a disability working for the federal government, I knew I needed to get the right legal professional assistance for my case. And while the process could have been tedious and overwhelming . . . Melville Johnson alleviated all the potential stress involved. . . . With their help, I received disability approval in record time! I want to thank you for the superior work your firm performed. From my very first contact, your Client Intake Manager took the time to answer all of my initial questions and provide detailed information at every turn. And your attorneys showed nothing but professionalism and kindness throughout the process.” – Sandra B., Federal Employee

Federal Employment Discrimination and Harassment Attorneys

If you believe that you may be a victim of wrongful discrimination by any agency of the federal government, it is important that you seek legal representation as soon as possible. We represent federal employees in EEO complaints and federal appeals involving:

  • Age Discrimination
  • Sexual Harassment
  • Disability Discrimination
  • Gender Discrimination
  • Race Discrimination
  • Sexual Orientation Discrimination

Federal Employees’ EEO Complaint FAQs

Q: Can I file my EEO complaint without an attorney?

Yes, if you believe that you have experienced unlawful discrimination or harassment at work, you have the option of filing an EEO complaint on your own. As a federal employee, the process starts with contacting your agency’s EEO counselor.

However, before you file on your own, it is important to understand what is at stake. You may be entitled to back and forward pay; and, if you lost your job or were denied an employment opportunity, you may be entitled to placement in federal employment. You may have other remedies available as well. To ensure that you fully protect your rights – and preserve your right to appeal if you lose your case before the EEO – it is critical to have experienced legal representation on your side.

Q: Do I have to go to the EEOC, or can I file a discrimination lawsuit in federal court?

As a federal employee, you must exhaust your administrative remedies through the EEO process before you can take your discrimination or harassment case to court. Going to court is an option:

  • Once 180 days have passed since filing your EEO complaint with no decision or appeal;
  • Once 180 days have passed since filing your appeal with no decision;
  • Within 90 days of receiving an adverse decision from the EEOC if you do not file an appeal; or,
  • Within 90 days of receiving an adverse decision on your administrative appeal.

Q: How long do I have to start the EEO complaint process?

In most cases, you only have 45 days to contact your EEO counselor once you have experienced discrimination or harassment at work. If you have already been through EEO counseling or mediation and are unsatisfied with the outcome, you have 15 days to file a formal complaint from the date you receive notice from the EEO counselor.

Speak with a Federal Discrimination Lawyer at Melville Johnson, P.C.

If you would like to speak with an attorney about your EEO discrimination case, we encourage you to contact us promptly for a confidential consultation. To request an appointment, please call (888) 594-0424 or get in touch online now.

Successfully litigated against all federal agencies for 24 years, has brought cases before most circuit courts of appeals, as well as the United States Supreme Court on behalf of federal employees he has represented.